Nearly everyone who knows Rachael also realizes pretty quickly that she has an incredible memory. She seems to forget the rule about not crying unless you're hurt or in danger, but in general, her memory is amazing. For Kindergarten, there are about 75 "sight words" that the students are required to commit to memory throughout the year. We (her parents) were content to just let her learn them a few at a time as they came home each week with her homework. Then Rachael started to notice that some of her friends had gone ahead and learned all their sight words, becoming official members of the Sight Word Club. Rachael asked me to write a note to her teacher requesting the complete list of words, because she didn't want to get in trouble for asking for it. (Silly girl, her teacher is not at all scary, but Rachael is a rule follower, including the rules she makes up in her own head). We got the list, along with assurance from Rachael's teacher that she can ask for anything, and Rachael went to work. She was completely self-motivated, and I barely helped her. Before long, she was in the Club! I was so proud of her.
Rachael & her cousin Hannah have been best friends for as long as possible. They are alike in some ways, but not exactly 2 peas in a pod. There is a 2 year age difference, for one thing. Rachael is an anxious child, always worrying about the future. Hannah likes to get a reaction out of Rachael by telling her all about the hard knocks life has is store for her, such as childbirth, losing teeth, 2nd grade being sooo boring. Rachael has been dwelling on a particular fear of drowning in water, to the point that she would be nearly hysterical in the bathtub. Since she's a forward thinker, she was torn between her fear of going under water & the opportunity she would have to be baptized after she turned 8 years old. Hannah turned 8 this spring, and Rachael watched bravely despite all of her stress about the situation. It was a special day and as a family we could feel the Spirit there. We are all proud of Hannah for the choice she made and grateful that we could be there to support her. The next morning, the first thing I heard was Rachael enthusiastically proclaiming her decision to be baptized & how she wished she were turning 8 instead of 6. She even invited her primary teacher to attend, now that she was officially planning on being baptized in two years. I am touched that sharing in Hannah's experience gave Rachael the faith to overcome her fears. Although she now prefers taking showers, she is eagerly anticipating swimming at Grandma's house this summer & no longer gets queasy when we recite the 4th Article of Faith.
Rachael had a birthday and is now 6 years old! She had a My Little Pony party at the park with some school friends and church friends. She was blessed with good enough weather that we were not freezing and did not have to relocate the party to our little house. I had been super sick for a whole week & was grateful that the party was a success! Nothing says celebration like beating up a rainbow full of chocolate.
Rachael’s Talk on Mother’s Day 2009
I am happy to give a talk on Mother’s day, so I can sit next to my Dad and because it is a special day for Mother’s.
What do mothers do?
They help children learn important things like the gospel. They cook good food that Heavenly Father told us to eat. They also love and take care of children.
What does my mom do for me?
She gives me a super surprise Sunday treat. She sings a song every night. She gives me hugs and kisses. She also has given me cute brothers.
How can I be ready to be a Mother?
I can go to the temple like I saw my cousin Heather do yesterday. I can do what Heavenly Father tells us to do. I can also try and make good choices.
I love my mom and wish her a happy Mother’s Day. I know Heavenly Father loves me and will help me become a good mom just like my mom. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Yes, the Bishop asked her the questions and then typed up her answers. It was really great. Rachael gave me a MOM key chain that she made in school. I love it!
Rachael stared in her second Kindergarten play, Character Matters. She played the part of the Responsible Pig (typecast). Rachael knew there was a solo singing part involved, but was too shy to ask her teacher about it, then she kept forgetting to ask. I mentioned at Parent/Teacher conference that Rachael told me she wanted to sing the solo. Her teacher was thrilled, but surprised. When it comes to performing, Rachael takes after me & transforms from the quiet, shy little girl. Of course Rachael had no trouble memorizing her parts & her song. She had all the other parts memorized too. I thought it was pretty funny when she informed me the week of the show that she was "the only little pig that doesn't need to practice!"
As luck would have it, Goldilocks (who also had a solo) got very ill & an understudy was called in at the last minute...Rachael! She performed both parts for the other students in the school without having officially practiced Goldilocks' part. The show must go on, even in Kindergarten and Rachael saved the day. She didn't miss a single word & said that she sang a little bit quiet because that was the first time. I am really proud of her and think she deserves a standing ovation for all that she has accomplished lately!

3 comments:
What a special little lady! I love the mother's day talk!
Loved this post, it's fun to hear about your kids individually. Rachel seems to be quite the character. Each age seems to be a fun new adventure to experience with your children. Oh, and it was great seeing you guys!
I can't believe how grown up Rachael is getting - and that long flowing hair! Sounds like a wonderful Mother's Day. Your one year milestone is a big one, too. Chuck E. Cheese sounds perfect! :)
Post a Comment