CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Seasons Change

I am so pleased to announce that our long-running stretch of sleepless nights has come to an end, for now at least. Spencer appears to have overcome his night-time demons and has a somewhat predictable sleeping schedule that is working much better for us . It is amazing to put the kids to bed and know that they will go to sleep after the routine is done and most likely stay asleep until dawn. Before I became a mother, I never imagined the trauma it would cause me to sleep-train my children. I assumed that babies were notorious for waking up at night simply because they were hungry, not because they really didn't know how to fall back asleep.
My little boy is so much happier now. He loves to take naps, so much so that he fell asleep in the stroller at the store today and remained sleeping when I transfered him to the car and to his crib. Let me repeat: AMAZING.
Spencer is officially toddling around the house now. It is really fun to watch him so awkwardly and carefully take steps on his own and pick himself up when he falls down. I can't wait for him to be a certified walker because I think he will have so much more fun playing on two feet.
Rachael is ever a reflection of myself and the things I say. Except she sometimes overwhelms me like one of those magnifying face mirrors. I struggle to enjoy coloring with her, in particular, because the entire time I'm coloring, she's watching me saying over and over, "be super careful!" "you're doing a great job, Mom..." "watch out!" "oh, that looks beautiful, Mom..." "You have to do it like this..."
Her latest thrill is to tell me exactly how to respond to her. For example, she'll say, "Mom, this dress is pink." and I'll say "Really?" and she'll say, "Say 'yeah' Mom, say 'yeah.' Sometimes it even gets to the point where she's correcting my inflection (I can't say "yeah?" it must me "yeah."). It's slightly ridiculous (and when she tries to do it to Mike, I just roll my eyes and say, "See what I go through all day long?")
My awareness of this has prompted me to try and not over-correct my impressionable daughter. I hope that I can let her explore and try out things until she finds her own sense of self. It's hard though...I find it really easy to instruct and correct her as she is constantly doing that to me. Such a fascinating game we play, and it turns out we both need a break every once in a while. Rachael rewards me with cascades of "I love you so very very much." And I let her tell me what to do (and how to do it) every once in a while.
She is growing up so much...I see it in so many ways. This year will probably be her first really memorable Christmas, and she is thrilled. Ever since I told her that Santa brings her presents, she insists that he isn't scary and that she will sit on his lap and talk to him this year....(ha ha, we'll see about that!)
Speaking of seasons changing, Mike just reached the milestone of his 30th birthday. He spent a day at Magic Mountain with all 5 of his brothers. I hear that it was a handsome group. I certainly think that my Casady boy is by far the best looking, and I can't believe how fortunate I am to be his wife. We are about to celebrate our 5th anniversary next week. We have been so blessed, especially me, because I am adored and cherished everyday. Amazing.

No comments: