This is the story of our first pet. Last Tuesday we took the kids to the pet store to buy a fish. Since Rachael has decided that fish are non-threatening, we thought that this would be a good start as far as family pets go. (She also claims that she wants a sheep, a horse, and a cat, but we have limited space in our yard, and I'm sure they would all terrify her).
We chose a beautiful purple beta fish to bring home and Rachael named "her" in honor of the baby sister she's not getting this time. It was really fun to watch Rachael talk so lovingly to "Michelle" and the first night, in an attempt to take care of her pet, she enthusiastically fed her a little too much food. I started getting nervous around day 4 that the water was getting polluted by the over feeding, and when there was a film on the top of the water, I decided to clean it.
Michelle seemed pleased with this, until this afternoon when Rachael and I were about to feed her again. I thought I smelled something fishy...
Our first pet did not make it through an entire week, which is absolutely pathetic. I feel a wieght of saddness that I'm sure my daughter doesn't feel, as I have an emotional memory of all the pets I have loved and lost throughout my childhood. I know it's just part of life, but if I wanted a fish that would last less than a week, I would have picked a goldfish.
We will get through this day of great sadness (Rachael didn't even cry, really.) and we will go to the pet store and find a new Michelle to join our happy family. Rachael's request was that she looks the same, so I think it's going to work out okay. If I kill Michelle #2, I might have to give up on the pet thing for a while. Although we might get brave and try adopting a kitten. Apparently, something with 9 lives would be ideal for us.
Sunday, August 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment