
I'm way behind on my updates, but I know that I need to record my thoughts on this historic day. Our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinkley passed away this evening. I have a great love and appreciation for him, his life and his faith. It is amazing how fast news travels...we don't even live in Utah and we learned of his passing less than an hour and a half after he died. I feel that I will have a fixed image in my mind of the moment we heard the news. At the weekly Sunday night Casady gathering, the kids were playing and the adults were sitting around the dining room talking about bizarre pet stories, the phone rang...when my sister in law Liz hung up, she shared the news, and instantly there was a stillness in the room, tears starting to surface as the idea of his passing started to sink in. Then a rush to confirm the rumor via internet and more phone calls. I quietly thought of this great man, his family surrounding him, saying goodbye (for now), and knowing that he leaves a wonderful legacy behind to be reunited with his dear wife he has missed for so long.
I am blessed to have a powerful memory of the day the Prophet came to speak to the youth in San Diego. I was about 16 years old and privileged to sing in the choir for the fireside. I was in the first row of sopranos, almost directly behind President Hinkley and his wife (Elder and Sister Haight were also there). The moment he entered the chapel that day, there was a feeling, a reverence in the room that was unforgettable. We spontaneously began singing, We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet! I noticed him singing along as he approached the stand. In my mind I heard the words, "this is what it feels like to be in the presence of a prophet of God."
The choir sang "High on a Mountain Top" and "An Angel from on High." Elder Haight talked about his wife so sweetly. President Hinkley gave us a talk that later became known through out the church as the 6 B's... the ones that I remember having an impression on me--Be grateful, Be smart, Be clean. At the close of the meeting, I was able to shake his hand before he left. The experience left me with a sure witness that this man was called of God to be his prophet on the earth at this time.
Since then, I have felt such a strong spirit when I hear him speak...at BYU campus devotionals, General Conference addresses, and finally at our regional Stake Conference broadcast just 2 weeks ago. He was a remarkable man, with a love of the Savior, the restored Gospel and the people throughout the world. He lived life with such joy and optimism. He will be missed.

1 comment:
I'll miss him, too. He was the prophet of my youth, when my testimony was growing the most. He made a difference to so many people.
Post a Comment