Generally I avoid all things controversial, but I'm delving into this topic as I feel that it is extremely important and often misrepresented.
There are many reasons why I support this proposition. Admittedly, I was nearby the fence on this one when I learned about it months ago. I have pondered long and hard before beginning this explanation, and I have two arguments to present, both in support of this proposition.
Faith.
I cannot separate my belief system from this political debate because this moral issue involves a major aspect of the theology I have studied, prayed about and received a personal witness of its truthfulness...
From the beginning, man and woman were created and commanded to raise children. Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God. It is not only part of society on earth, but also in the heavens.
I believe the accounts of the life of Jesus Christ as recorded in the Holy Scriptures. I also believe that through prayerful study of the sacred texts, we can learn patterns and principles to guide our lives. I believe that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God. Mary was the chosen vessel to bring the Savior to the world as a new born baby. Miracles surrounded this birth. I love to read the accounts in the New Testament. I learn there that Mary was espoused to a man named Joseph. Upon learning of her condition, he, being a kind and righteous man, did not desire to publicly condemn her, but thought and intended to relieve her of her obligation to marry him privately. But, a loving Father in Heaven did not require Mary to raise even the Son of God alone. It was so important for Jesus to be raised in a family, consisting of a mother and a father married to each other, that God sent an angel to Joseph, explaining and testifying that the baby Mary was carrying was in fact divine, and that he was called to assist in the coming forth of the Savior to the world.
This family is often depicted in nativity scenes, and referred to as "the Holy Family." I recognize this as a pattern for our own lives, just as Christ's teachings and ministry are a pattern for us to follow in order for us to grow and learn throughout our mortal journey. We live in an imperfect world and ideals are often seen as impractical, old-fashioned, or unpopular. We, through our own choices or the choices of others may not live the ideals, but we can hope and strive to live them, and stand up for those ideals when they are attacked. Marriage between a man and a woman should be defined and protected because it is the only institution designed to naturally create and welcome children into the world. Children have a divine right to be raised in a home with a mother and a father working together, loving and supporting one another. This is the ideal. My own parents divorced when I was nearly 7 years old. I did not live in the ideal, but I hoped for it, longed for it.
True, some will criticize, that equal rights is the more important ideal. I honestly have no desire to deprive anyone of their happiness and I understand their desire for equality. I have no judgement for those who experience same-sex attraction. I do believe, however, that there are eternal truths that cannot be changed and redefined because of the feelings and actions of humankind. The sole purpose of this life is not so that we can do and have everything we want, but so that we can learn and grow, striving to have self-mastery and become better than we are. As a parent, I know it is not possible to give my children everything they want. It would be a dis-service to them. It is similar to the relationship we all have with God, our Father in Heaven. He loves us and created us to have joy, but He knows how we can attain the greatest joy, and so he sets limits, laws and commandments.
Country.
I am very patriotic and feel incredibly blessed to live in this great land. I am thankful everyday for the comforts of life that I enjoy because I live here. I feel safe, hopeful, and happy to be an American. I am not super political, nor am I a really great historian, but I recognize that the foundation of our country is democracy. The people have a vote and the voice of the majority is effective in creating policies and electing public servants. Previously, the voice of the majority, through a public election voted to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. In May 2008, four judges voted and they overturned laws passed by voters and the state legislature, to create same-sex marriage. Yet their job is to interpret the real meaning of the law and apply it to specific situations -- not to create new laws. Lawmaking on such a pivotal issue, by unelected officials, is tyranny and it should not be permitted and accepted as okay. If same-gender marriage is part of the American way, then it should come to be law in the American way. We do not live by minority rule. Everyone has rights, and tolerance and respect of those rights goes both ways.
These are some of my thoughts on the issue. If you are looking for any more official information regarding Proposition 8, please see the following links.
http://preservingmarriage.org
http://protectmarriage.com
http://yesonproposition8.com
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
The problem is that even if the measure passes, some judge will decide to find a "right".
The end times are coming. The mortgage crisis is part of it.
20 years ago, if you'd told me that we'd be debating over whether men had the right to marry men, I'd have thought you were insane.
Jesus better come back soon. I fear for my grandchildren.
don't give up. everyone can contribute good.
Defining marriage as between one man and one woman is not taking away anyone's rights. The definition simply distinguishes a union that is biologically capable of producing its own children. Whether a married couple has children or not, I feel like this deserves a separate name--even the potential is kind of a miracle.
Actually this definition can be seen as the ultimate expression of equality our society has to offer: it takes one man and one woman. One could see a lesbian union as a marginalization of men, or a homosexual union as a marginalization of women.
Equality is especially important when it comes to raising children. Children deserve/need a father and a mother. Neither parent should be marginalized.
Yes, many children are already growing up in single-parent homes. Prop 8 should be a reminder to everyone that as a society we need to assist and strengthen families as much as possible. Really, as a society we should be most concerned with the success and health of our families.
http://emiliadelmar.blogspot.com/2008/10/legislation-and-social-issues.html
http://gr8prop8deb8.blogspot.com/
peace!
Thanks for the post. This is such a huge issue. It is constantly on my mind. This issue is what will change the course if the world. I wonder what it will be like for our kids someday? Crazy.
Well put! It scares me that this is even an issue and makes me wonder what could be next.
Post a Comment