In her Christmas piano and voice recital, Rachael shared that her favorite Christmas memory is opening presents at Grandma Amonette's house on every Christmas Eve. My Grandma is a skilled bargain shopper, and enjoys providing presents for every member of the family. I've spent many Saturdays of my childhood scouring clearance racks and running from store to store to get the best deals. Due to the influence of my grandma, I'm reluctant to pay more than $10 for a shirt.
I can't describe Grandma Amonette without the mention of COOKIES.
She taught me how to bake the very best chocolate chip cookies. I have always enjoyed baking with her, helping her and visiting with her in the kitchen. While there was not a recipe in sight, she mysteriously knew exactly how much sugar. She makes those cookies from her heart, and has for as long as I can remember. Her freezer was always stocked with cookies, but we would still get to make the new batch together. She always teased me about sneeking a taste of the cookie dough, but never seriously got upset. There was a time when she experimented with adding chopped up gumdrops and M&Ms. The M&Ms prevailed in the end, especially since they came out with mini baking M&Ms. And who could say no to another form of chocolate in chocolate chip cookies?
When I left for college, I wrote down her recipe as she recited it from memory. While I was at school, she and Grandpa would come to visit bringing a mixer, beaters, and all the ingredients to make sure I was able to bake cookies for all the boys. To this day, my husband claims that the cookies I can bake definitely played a part in my success in convincing him to marry me.
We sure love Grandma Amonette & we hope she has a very happy 80-something birthday! She has always been a great grandma, and once my cousin, Heather has her baby in June, she will be a wonderful great-grandma to 10 adorable children!
Truth be told, in the cookies of life, Grandmas are the chocolate chips!



No comments:
Post a Comment